Sunday, August 7, 2011

We Are Married!!!

I am behind on blogging so this post will be about the day that Mike and I got married!  We got married at the courthouse on July 21st.  I know that a lot of people can't imagine getting married there, but I could not have asked for a more perfect day!  

Mike and I had been talking about going ahead and getting married for a while.  We were living together and to us, we were already married.  The only thing that was missing was the certificate of marriage and changing my last name.  On July 19th, I decided to go ahead and schedule a day for us to go to the courthouse and get married.  We wanted to get married on a Friday and I was able to schedule for July 29th.  I called my mom after I scheduled to invite her.  In the past she had told me that she wouldn't get her feelings hurt if she couldn't be there.  I told her what date I had scheduled and she told me that she wouldn't be able to come because of her school in-service.  I could tell by the sound of her voice that she really wanted to see me get married.  I told her that I was going to call the courthouse back and see if I could reschedule it and get married within the next few days.  It put a lot of stress on me because I was hoping to have a little over a week to find something to wear and get everything planned out, but I wanted my mom to be able to see us get married.  She didn't get to see my brother get married(they went to Vegas) so I knew it would mean a lot to her to see me get married.  

I called the courthouse back, knowing that it was highly unlikely that we could get married by the end of the week.  I was wrong!  I was able to schedule for that Thursday which was the 21st.  I called my mom back and told her.  Of course, she was extremely happy!  

I wanted to find something new to wear on the day that I got married but because of the length of time that I had(none at all) to find something, I ended up not getting anything!  I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find a single thing.  It was frustrating but I tried not to let it get to me because the most important thing was that Mike and I were finally getting married.  I really wanted to find a white sundress but the ones that I found just didn't work for me.  So, I settled for black pants and a black printed top that I've owned for a while but just hadn't worn much.  I did get a much-needed hair cut and a new style.  It's curly and has layers to it.  

Mike and I woke up on July 21st and went to the courthouse.  We were supposed to be there by 10:00am at the latest.  Mike's parents, his daughter, my mom, and Ms. Marilyn(my mom's friend) were going to meet us there.  His parents and daughter were already there when we got there, but my mom and Ms. Marilyn weren't.  I called my mom and at 9:45am they were in Hermitage.  I got upset because I didn't think that they would be there and it wouldn't have been the same without my mom there.  Right at 10:00am they showed up and I was so happy that they had made it!  My mom is usually late to everything and Ms. Marilyn even said that mom had been late getting to her house!  That's just how she is!  Thank goodness that the judge was running behind!  

We were married by Judge Dianne Turner!  I was a little apprehensive about a woman performing the ceremony because I always imagined a man doing that.  After I met her, I realized that I couldn't have had someone better to marry Mike and I.  She was very nice and welcoming and didn't rush through the ceremony at all!  

Judge Dianne Turner


She asked us to join hands and started the ceremony.  It was so sweet.  Mike said his vows to me first and then it was my turn.  I told myself that I wasn't going to cry, but of course, I did.  I made it to the middle of it and then started crying my eyes out.  The judge kept saying, "This is so sweet".  Finally I made it through the vows and we were pronounced husband and wife!  


Mike putting the wedding band on my finger!

Putting his wedding band on his finger!

I now pronounce you husband and wife!

You may kiss the bride!

Mr. and Mrs. Wood!

After the ceremony, we all drove to hermitage to my in-law's house for a small reception.  In the past few years I have gotten to know a lot of their neighbors, so they came over to celebrate with us!  We took some pictures out on their beautiful back porch area and then ate finger foods and cake!  My mother-in-law put it all together without us knowing and that meant so much to me.  



Newlyweds!

Showing off our rings!

Mike, My Mom, and Me


She always comes up with the silliest hand holding poses!  


Mike, Ms. Marilyn, and Me


Mom and Me!


One of my favorite pictures of the day!  I love my mom!


Mike, Alayna(my step-daughter), and Me!


My in-laws, Mike, and Me!

Our Wedding Cake!  It was really good and so pretty!  

From left: Me, Connie(Mike's aunt), Ms. Marilyn, and my Mom!

Getting a picture with the cake!

Another picture with the cake!  

Cutting the cake!  Since the wedding wasn't too  "traditional" we tried to include some tradition in it!  

After Mike put some icing on my nose!  

Another one of us and the cake!

I got him too.  LOL

Me and the cake

From far left: J.B.(Mike's cousin), Ben(Mike's cousin), Mike,  Alayna, and Peyton(Mike's cousin)

From left: Paula(Mike's boss), Connie, Ms. Marilyn, and my Mom!

From left: Ed(my in-laws neighbor), Charles(my father-in-law), and Lois(another neighbor)!

I made my mother-in-law get in the picture because when I took the one above this one she  ran away from it!

As you can see, this was not the traditional wedding that most people have!  At first, that bothered me, but I wanted to do it this way because of my parents being divorced.  I wanted to avoid any possible drama that might happen.  Plus, weddings are expensive and my dad couldn't afford to help with one.  Mike and I are planning to renew our vows in the future and have a wedding and reception.  I am happy with what we decided to do and I couldn't have asked for a more special day!


We didn't go on a honeymoon because we recently went to Panama City Beach, Florida and spent a whole week there!  So on our wedding night we got a nice hotel room and just spent time together.  We went swimming, went out to eat, and went to a movie.  Again....not traditional but perfect for us!     

Since we planned to get married last minute, we still have wedding showers to go to!  My mom's church is throwing a shower for me and my mom's side of the family is too!  I'm excited to see everyone for the first time since I've been married!  It will be fun!  

Along with getting married, I also gained a step-daughter!  Alayna is 14 years old and goes to McClain Christian Academy in Lebanon, Tennessee.  She just started her freshman year of high school last Monday.  She is such a sweetheart and is very smart.  She plays basketball and is so great at it.  She just started playing volleyball last week and I think she is enjoying it so far!  I couldn't ask for a better step-daughter and am excited to see what all she accomplishes in the future!  

I have been married to Mike for two weeks and it is wonderful!  We were living together before we got married so of course, not much is different other than the fact that I am now Mrs. Mattie Miranda Wood and that I have a step-daughter!  

I am so happy to be his wife and I can't wait to see what our future holds together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment