Friday, October 14, 2011

PCOS Questions

I received an email from someone who has a few questions about PCOS.  She came across my blog through a search on Google and since I have been diagnosed and understand it, she thought that I would be able to answer her questions!  I am going to try my best to answer them in this post.  


1. When I was diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor explained it to me but I didn't really understand him.  Can you explain it in English for me?  


I completely understand what she means.  Doctors try their best to explain things so that we can understand them, but sometimes that isn't enough!  


PCOS is basically an imbalance of hormones.  Women have sex hormones that are called estrogen and progesterone.  We also have androgen hormones that are basically called "male hormones".  Males also have androgen hormones but have a whole lot more of those hormones than women do.  In the case of PCOS, we tend to have more of the androgen hormones than women without PCOS.  Because of the higher than normal male hormones in our body, it can cause unwanted facial hair, skin problems like acne, weight gain, and problems with ovulation.  The high levels of androgen hormones affect ovulation because they disrupt the normal development and release of eggs.  The ovaries of a woman with PCOS do not look the same as a woman that doesn't have it.  Our ovaries have small cysts all over them.  Usually they do not cause any problems, but in some women they do get larger and have to be removed.  


My doctor told me that PCOS is also related to insulin in some cases.  She said that some women with this syndrome have excess insulin in their bodies because their bodies get confused on how to use it.  The excess insulin causes the increase in the production of androgen hormones, which then causes the problems that I mentioned in the last paragraph.  


2. Could I have gotten PCOS because I am a little overweight?  


I have heard that PCOS can be caused by being overweight.  But, I have also talked to women that are skinny that have PCOS.  I really believe that it just depends on the person.  Your weight may have not caused the PCOS, but if you started noticing symptoms after gaining weight, it could be directly related.  In my case, my problems started after I got off of the birth control pill.  They have not proven that birth control pills cause PCOS, but in my case, I think that it could have been related somewhat!  


3.  I rarely have a menstrual cycle which is why I went to a doctor.  Is going without one bad?  


I struggle with that too.  I have gone an entire year without having a period before.  I was put on Provera after that and finally started bleeding(it was terrible).  Since then, it has been off and on.  I haven't had one in several months now.  Usually the lining in my uterus has to build up so much that it just has to come out and then I will start bleeding.  I've heard that this isn't good because it can put you at a higher risk for cancer and other problems.  A lot of the time, doctors will put women on birth control to cause bleeding every month.  I can't take birth control pills so I just have to deal with it and get Provera if I go too long without one.  


4. I'm scared that I will never have children.  Do I even have a chance?  


It just depends on what your doctor told you.  I was told that I might never have kids but that I could try fertility drugs and other options.  I've talked to several women that have PCOS that were able to get pregnant by losing weight and eating properly.  I have lost weight and eat properly and still can't get pregnant, so I know that mine is more complex.  I have also heard of women that take the drug, Metformin, that have gotten pregnant after 6 months of taking it.  I take Metformin and have for several years, and can't get pregnant.  As you can see, it just depends on the person and how their PCOS affects them.  Everyone is different.  


5. How do you deal with the side effects that come with PCOS? 


My side effects really aren't that bad.  I don't have excess hair growth or acne.  I do have a problem with losing weight and keeping it off which is a side effect of having PCOS.  I definitely have the depression that comes with it and that is probably the hardest part about my PCOS.  I deal with that on a daily basis.  My advice would be to talk to your doctor about any side effects that you have and work with him to figure out how to deal with whatever side effects you are having!  


6. I read somewhere that people who have PCOS will have other health problems.  What are the other health problems?  


Diabetes is the main one.  A lot of women with PCOS get diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in 2006 and was put on Metformin.  Having a heart attack is more common in women with PCOS than women without it.  High blood pressure also comes with PCOS a lot of the time.  Cholesterol issues is another problem that can happen.  Women with PCOS can have more bad cholesterol than good cholesterol.  Endometrial cancer is also a problem.  It happens when you don't have a period and the lining in your uterus continues to grow and grow and grow.  The endometrium gets really thick and when it grows too much, it causes the cancer.  I know, it sounds like a lot of crap comes with the PCOS but all of it can be prevented.  Just talk with your doctor about how to prevent all of those things!!!  


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Those are all of the questions that she had for me.  I hope that I helped her but of course, I am not a doctor and a few of the things that she asked me, I had to look up on a legit website!  

No comments:

Post a Comment